Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to theArmpit.net // forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Sony Releasing A Smash Bros. Rip-Off

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Sketch

Sketch

You come at the king, you best not miss.

• Moderators
  • 18,841 posts
Leaks from inside of Sony have been suggesting for the past month that Sony had a long term plan "to basically steal Nintendo's Super Smash Bros." and replace the Nintendo mascots with Sony stars. I've been hearing about this rumor for weeks now but today, screen shots have started to leak.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rumored characters include: Sweet Tooth, Nathan Drake, Kratos, Sack Boy, PaRappa, Ratchet, Sly, Colonel Mael Radec and a Fat Princess.

The gameplay is said to be stolen directly from Smash Bros. with four players brawling and duking it out to deliver the most damage to their opponents, hoping to knock them off of the stage.

I have mixed feelings. Sony is no stranger to being accused of stealing ideas from Nintendo but this one is pretty fucking blatant. On the other hand? It will probably be awesome and I'll probably buy it.

Reprise

Reprise

Speaking in Colours

• Moderators
  • 18,233 posts
Honestly, gameplay-wise, I'm sure it'll be enjoyable. However, it fucking sucks to me. I mean really? Sony mascots? Who gives a fuck. Mario, Samus, Link etc - those are characters that really mean something in gaming. Sony mascots are a bunch of nobodies, occasionally attached to some alright games. It's not like they actually compare to Nintendo's games though.

StraightEdgeBizkit

StraightEdgeBizkit

I am The Nina, The Pinta, The Santa Maria

• Site Author
  • 3,277 posts
Nathan Drake vs PaRappa? Never thought I would be able to do that haha.

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Site Author
  • 5,908 posts
Rep, you're beyond biased. Snake nowadays looks like a total Sony mascot because the game that made him famous was on PSOne, but Nintendo strangely had him. However your words have certain truth - it's a no brainer that Nintendo has a habit of iterating the same IP's no matter the platform and Sony tries to reinvent mascots for it's every iteration. The only guys that are present on every platform are Snake and Sweet Tooth.

Edit: I honestly think that the only Nintendo mascot that was actually a miracle for the gaming in general, not just for Nintendo was Mario. Link = Cloud. Samus = Snake.

Edited by Morphine_Overdose, 01 December 2011 - 11:50 AM.

Alex

Alex

\m/

• Webmaster
  • 44,870 posts
Get a life, nerds!

:P

Skoll

Skoll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
Seriously? In the Nerd Talk subforum? :rolleyes:

Alex

Alex

\m/

• Webmaster
  • 44,870 posts
:(

Sketch

Sketch

• Moderators
  • 18,841 posts

I honestly think that the only Nintendo mascot that was actually a miracle for the gaming in general, not just for Nintendo was Mario.

Posted Image

lukavago

lukavago

Promising...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Rumored characters include: Sweet Tooth, Nathan Drake, Kratos, Sack Boy, PaRappa, Ratchet, Sly, Colonel Mael Radec and a Fat Princess.

Who are Nathan Drake, Kratos, Sack Boy, Colonel Mael Radec, and Fat Princess?

Reprise

Reprise

Speaking in Colours

• Moderators
  • 18,233 posts
Exactly.

Jave

Jave

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
Come on... Kratos is VoP's body double, everyone knows that!

But seriously Kratos (God of War series) and Sack Boy (Little Big Planet) are a little better known. Or at least to me they're a little more mainstream. I know Nathan Drake, but the other two I had to look them up on the internet. And I don't own a Playstation console anymore and never bothered with the PS3. But if you follow video games, those first two should be familiar (unless you're really, really a fanboy loyal to just one company).

About the project itself... Can't say much as it's only rumors so far. The two pics could be anything to be honest. I'd have to see more. And words like steal and rip off are a bit too strong at this point (mainly concerning this game).

Requiem

Requiem

Brace for the glory as you stare into the sky.

• Legends
  • 7,930 posts

Edit: I honestly think that the only Nintendo mascot that was actually a miracle for the gaming in general, not just for Nintendo was Mario. Link = Cloud. Samus = Snake.

:unsure:

MORPHINE, Y U NO UNDERSTAND GAMING HISTORY?

VeLoCi

VeLoCi

News Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
Obviousy Nintendo's frachises have shaped what gaming is today. Even sub-franchises of those (Mario Kart) have done that too. That said, you have to be a complete non-gamer to ignore who Nathan Drake or Kratos are.

King Electric

King Electric

A Known Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts
Yeah it's a rip off the same way Saints Row rips off Grand Theft Auto, but Nintendo doesnt have any right to own cartoonish fighting games all to their selves. It's probably a fun game, but I'm not sure it'll stand up to the Smash Brothers characters.

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Site Author
  • 5,908 posts
I've browsed through the SSB Brawl roster and I found out that I know only 5 characters and really appreciate only 2 of them. I've been gaming for 16 years already and that's pretty obvious that some characters are Nintendo platform specific as are some of planned characters for Sony's ripoff. Radec is known only to Killzone fans and Fat Princess only to casual gamers.

Sketch

Sketch

• Moderators
  • 18,841 posts

MORPHINE, Y U NO UNDERSTAND GAMING HISTORY?

I've learned to take most of what Morphine says about video games with a grain of salt...he's says a lot of strange and silly things but maybe that Mario comment was misunderstood. I mean, it's pretty fucking idiotic to say that Mario was the only revolutionary franchise that Nintendo brought to the table so maybe that's not what Morphine really meant? (EDIT)...NEVERMIND I just read Morphine's follow-up comment about "only knowing 5 characters from Smash Bros. Brawl and only appreciating 2 of them". Holy fucking shit. As someone who "has been gaming for 16 years", that's pretty much impossible. Come on now.

Who are Nathan Drake, Kratos, Sack Boy, Colonel Mael Radec, and Fat Princess?

You have to know the first two. Nathan Drake is the lead character from the Uncharted series, one of the most popular game series of the past 10 years. Surely you know what Uncharted is. You know who Kratos is, he's from God of War, another one of the most popular game series of the past 10 years. Sack Boy isn't as popular by name but he's the little dude from the Little Big Planet games. Radec isn't as popular but he's from Killzone. Fat Princess is more obscure, I don't really expect anyone to know about that game.

VeLoCi

VeLoCi

News Poster

• Members
  • 5,092 posts
So out of these there's a character you don't know: Mario, Luigi, Sonic, Link, Donkey Kong, Pikachu.

Reprise

Reprise

Speaking in Colours

• Moderators
  • 18,233 posts

That said, you have to be a complete non-gamer to ignore who Nathan Drake or Kratos are.

Oh yes, the person who owns 9 video games consoles, well over 250 games, and has been gaming for 18 years "is a complete non gamer" *

* Virgin Nerd wars FTW! :P

@Sketch Never played Uncharted. Know who Sack Boy is now you've mentioned about it since I've played a lot of Little Big Planet. As for Kratos, I own both God of War 1 and 2, so yeah know who he is now.

Still argue that those "mascots" really don't mean a whole lot though to the mainstream. And nor would I, as a gamer, particularly like or care to play as them in an "all stars" game like this. I'm being realistic here, not biased. I troll alot against Sony here for the fun of it, but in reality I have a broad taste and selection in games.

VeLoCi

VeLoCi

News Poster

• Members
  • 5,092 posts
Yeah, you may own lots of retro consoles, but you don't know the name of the most well known character of this generation. If you consider yourself a gamer, then go and grab Uncharted 2 and 3 quickly. Now.

Sketch

Sketch

• Moderators
  • 18,841 posts
I agree with Veloci, Uncharted is amazing. I strongly recommend it.

I got annoyed by the popularity (constant commercials, people obsessing with it, gaming sites and magazines won't shut about it, cross-promotional ads with Subway are everywhere) but my buddy finally convinced me to play through them. I beat 1 and I'm in the middle of 2 right now. It's a really tight action game but the story is great, it feels cinematic- like a movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users