Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to theArmpit.net // forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Skyrim

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Shadow

Shadow

Sneaky Yugo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts
Defenitely game of the year. I was never a fan of Elder Scrolls, mainly because of the FP view, but this one actually has a playable 3rd person view. But that's not the point, this game is just amazing. Defenitely the best game I've played since Dragon Age: Origins. The game is also huge, but if I understand correctly, that was also the case with oter Elder Scrolls games.

Main problem seems to be the fact that the game is heavily plagued by bugs, some even game breaking, but so far I haven't encountered any.

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,219 posts
I vote Deus Ex for game of the year. The size is not everything, I've wasted 39 hours on Skyrim and I already feel tired, however with New Vegas I clocked 115 and felt no fatigue.

King Electric

King Electric

A Known Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts
I loved Oblivion it's an amazing game and this one looks even better. However I simply dont have the time or will for this game yet with how busy i am in real life and the fact that I'm concentrating on other games at the moment that I bought from the summer and early fall. Maybe next year when games thin out a bit I'll get to this amazing looking game.

mzupeman

mzupeman

I AM THE DRUNK FAIRY! I GRANT YOU DRUNK!

• Moderators
  • 13,356 posts
Oblivion had the promise of greatness, but man, that game was over-hyped as can be. It really was a clunky and sloppy piece of poo. I mean, the world side quests were interesting enough and all, but the gameplay was awful. Combat was terrible, the open world looked too much alike and felt like a game landscape as opposed to something more realistic, and all the dungeons and caves looked the same. And the main quests? Yay! Go from Oblivion gate to Oblivion gate, where the inside looks almost exactly like the last one! It was so monotonous. I also was extremely turned off by the fact that if I didn't like my gameplay style, the game punished me for it by basically making me have to start over.

Skyrim is way, way more epic. The land actually feels like an actual world instead of some crap that was just thrown together. The landscape, dungeons and caves are all diverse in and of themselves, and also from one another. The combat works like a charm and feels natural. I can switch my main gameplay style 'focus' if I want at any time just by using and developing the skill. The main quest is more intriguing. And of course, effing DRAGONS. I'm also in love with the new system that's been implemented for accessing the map and skills etc. It's obviously designed for console controller ease, but it actually makes a lot more sense than the last time around. Skyrim is infinitely better than Obvlivion and although I'm not normally the type for these super super long RPG's, I'm TOTALLY in on this one and will be for quite some time.

dai

dai

Zarathustra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
imo, Morrowind>>>Oblivion. The amount of detail in Morrowind, the diversity of the quests, and the unique setting all made the game outstanding. Oblivion was a big let down for me.

I'm holding off on Skyrim, but I am actually really excited to give it a try eventually.

Edited by dai, 23 November 2011 - 10:59 PM.

Requiem

Requiem

Brace for the glory as you stare into the sky.

• Legends
  • 8,141 posts
Oblivion was just an amazing, incredible, wonderful piece of art IMO. I spent so many hours on that game, and in preparation for Skyrim I started up another playthrough. I only intended to do the main quest to whet my appetite for my Bethesda goodness, but I ended up embarking on every single side quest I could possibly find. :P

mzupeman

mzupeman

• Moderators
  • 13,356 posts
Side quests are truly the bread and butter of Oblivion... but even with all that interesting stuff to do at your disposal, it's a real letdown that the main quest storyline was just a slapped-together piece of shit. But as I already said, I think I was even more let down by the fact that all the dungeons and whatnot looked the same. Unless I was using a map, it really was difficult to remember where you've been or not as a result.

In Skyrim, entire dungeons are unique from beginning to end and if they aren't linear, they actually will loop you around so there's no confusion. Eff. Yes.

Requiem

Requiem

Brace for the glory as you stare into the sky.

• Legends
  • 8,141 posts
I definitely can't argue with that, every single dungeon was essentially a variation of the next one. I didn't mind too much though; it was a minor complaint about an otherwise flawless game IMO. I know a lot of people didn't like the game world due to its 'generic fantasy' setting, but I thought it was gorgeous. Even now I love just walking through the Great Forest or the Colovian Highlands are marvelling at the scenery.

I haven't picked up Skyrim yet due to a lack of time, but around Christmas I'll definitely pick up a copy and dive right in. Cannot fucking wait.

mzupeman

mzupeman

• Moderators
  • 13,356 posts
You're in for a treat, man. This is a fully realized Elder Scrolls game.

Just be prepared for the new system they've implemented to look through your inventory and whatnot. I love the new system because I think it's a TON easier to navigate and tell what's what, but it's most certainly a design meant for consoles.

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,219 posts
And it has bugs - sometimes you can press enter to Ok, sometimes it doesn't work. And when you want to smith 20 daggers you have to smith them one by one, which could be just unfortunate, but it's broken because you can initiate smithing by pressing Enter, but you can confirm it only by left-click. That GUI is marvelous, but it's fucking broken. When you're waiting don't try to press OK button by a mouse or the waiting widow will cease to respond to it's fucking own control buttons. The only way to proceed is to press keyboard shortcuts.

mzupeman

mzupeman

• Moderators
  • 13,356 posts
Well I can't speak to the broken aspect of it, I play on the 360 and I haven't had any issues.

MeatFace18

MeatFace18

N7 Operative

• Members
  • 2,927 posts
Is Skyrim really that engrossing, fluid, and beleivable as a world? The first RPG franchise I played was Mass Effect. ME1 and 2 are my favourite games of all time, but they really spoiled me - I never want to play anything else. I've bought Need for Speed games, GTA expansions, Gears of War, and New Vegas. Even New Vegas I stopped playing after about 12 hours - it didnt feel good enough. I want to jump onto Skyrim (I love the fantasy aspect a la LOTR) but I dont wanna be let down. GOW and FNV both had unanimous critical praise too, and I wasnt satisfied. Thoughts?

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,219 posts
Skyrim is engrossing, but not fluid. Just like in FONV you gotta carve your own story, write your own epic adventure. Skyrim's story quest can be completed in 12 hours and that's all there is to it, however completing ALL the quests takes 200+ hours and some of them are infinite and randomized. Skyrim is different in that aspect from Mass Effect, where the story and the sidequests are essentially the one and the same thing and take about 40 hours to complete.

MeatFace18

MeatFace18

N7 Operative

• Members
  • 2,927 posts
By fluid I mean do things move and happen like they should, or are their constant reminders that I'm in a video game

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,219 posts
Thigs are fluid when they work, but there are bugs that totally ruin the immersion once in a while.

resident evil

resident evil

A True Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
Posted Image

Jelger

Jelger

Pinkpop 2008: Best.Weekend.Ever.

• Members
  • 6,391 posts
My roommate is playing it and it looks absolutely stunning. Haven't played it yet myself, but the graphics-aspect is unbelieveable.

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,219 posts
It's because you look from afar. Close-up textures are busted and last gen.

mzupeman

mzupeman

• Moderators
  • 13,356 posts
Who often walks right up to the bark of a tree to investigate how polygonal it looks? I've seen a lot of people on the internet cry that this doesn't look much better than Oblivion but holy SHIT are they wrong! This actually is a really great looking game, especially taking into consideration that it's only 7 gb and such a massive game...

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,219 posts
I demand hi-res pack on PC, it's not about polygons, I complain mostly about texturework and it can be fixed with a little effort and a respective patch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users