Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to theArmpit.net // forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How Was 2016 For You Personally?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 53,763 posts

We all know 2016 was fucked up in many ways, from Brexit and Trump, to all the legends dying. We can all agree the year sucked in that regard.

But what about you personally, how was this year for you, aside from all the celebrity deaths and political shit?

Jelger

Jelger

Pinkpop 2008: Best.Weekend.Ever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

It both sucked and was pretty great.

Sucked, because I fell back into depression and got near a burn-out at work. Had a nervous breakdown in May, in the middle of a club. I've never felt so bad as that moment and the following week. I've also fallen out of love with my job, which is a pretty toxic envirnoment to be in these days, since a re-organisation looms and everybody feels the stress and pressure of possibly getting fired in the first months of the new year.

But it was pretty great at the same time. I moved in with my girlfriend, which is going great. I'm so glad that we made that step. On the less important side, I finally got to see Thrice live, which was awesome. Also made a trip to New York, with my girlfriend, my brother and his girlfriend and my parents. It was a great week and since my dad is a little bit on the older side, it might have been my last trip abroad with him and I'm glad it went so well as it did.

Shadow

Shadow

Sneaky Yugo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,544 posts

It was weird. 

Edited by Shadow, 30 December 2016 - 12:36 AM.

Stalemate

Stalemate

A Super Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts

It was great for me, went on a Cruise around Norway.  Saw Limp Bizkit/Korn and a new Star Wars movie in the same weekend.

Last few days have been sad with the Carrie Fisher/Debbie Reynolds deaths.  RIP.

SomebodyElse

SomebodyElse

Too many mutha'uckers 'uckin' with my shi'

• Legends
  • 5,165 posts

Well, so-so. My business didn't really grow as much as expected. My girlfriend broke her foot during our summer vacation, following months of visiting doctors and physical therapies. My parents lost a big law suit and their beloved cat died. My grandmother is in hospital for various severe reasons. I struggled with some health issues which I'm getting used to as of now.

But other than that it was alright. My girlfriend is living with me for almost a year now and it's working out great. I had some cool trips to London and Amsterdam (TAP meetup). And yeah, that's about it.

EDIT: Sorry to hear about your depression, Jelger. It was only some weeks after our meetup.

Edited by SomebodyElse, 30 December 2016 - 05:03 AM.

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 53,763 posts

Sorry to hear about that, Jelg, so surprising hearing it happen right after April. I think the dwarf in the tram cast a spell on you by mistake, he was probably aiming for me. 

• Jelger likes this

Requiem

Requiem

Rockstar

• Legends
  • 10,170 posts

Very, very mixed, but ultimately one of the best years I've ever had. Never would have suspected that to be the case early on.

In January I was diagnosed with a herniated disc in my spine, and I couldn't walk for over a month. Initially I was told I would be off work for close to 6 months, but with a lot of determination and even more pain I was on my feet within 2. Now my back is stronger than it's ever been, so in a way it was a blessing in disguise. 

In April I got married it was pure magic. Couldn't have asked for a better day or a better honeymoon. 

In July I suffered a nervous breakdown at work. I've been struggling with work-related anxiety for the better part of a year, and it culminated in me not being able to exit my car to walk on site. It was both devastating and humiliating, especially given that I work with tradesmen who aren't exactly sympathetic to mental health issues. But after many months of not confronting my issues I finally had the strength to drag my ass into counselling and began working through my anxiety. Soon after my work situation began to change drastically and I'm now genuinely enjoying it. 

This month I finally finished landscaping my gardens, and I'm very proud of my house. I had to put it on hold for a long time due to my wedding (damn they cost a lot of money), so now that it's all done my wife and I appreciate it so much more. Now I spend my evenings drinking wine under my pergola and barbecuing. Australian summers are the greatest. 

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 53,763 posts

This thread got real fast.

This is why I always loved this place. Between bad nu-metal jokes, pissing contests and trolling, we could always have serious and honest conversations about ourselves. I absolutely love that, and I'm so glad to still see it happening after 14 years. Thanks for your replies. Guess I'll have to pitch in as well with a much more complete answer than I first wanted to give. 

SiDog

SiDog

Officially the standard of man you have to compare yourself to

• Legends
  • 13,530 posts
Been a mixed one for me too, mostly good though.

The one down/bad is probably giving up my relationship. Likely the best relationship I've ever been in, but I wanted to be selfish to travel alone so that was the price I chose to pay. Plus, did I see it going any further than it just being good and fun? I don't think I ever see any relationship being that way. Additional to this, I had a lot of stress having to pack down a house and throw a lot of stuff I collected over many years away as part of giving up the house I had lived in for 6 years. Besides these 2 things, I think it was mostly good.

I enjoyed challenging my business to pay me to leave and being successful in getting paid off. They are subsequently paying for my current trip to Asia which I am more than 3 months into already. I have also learned whilst on this trip that I am now eligible to go to Australia to work for a year (as they increased the age from 31 to 35 as top age) so that will be the next plan. My sister has given birth to the cutest baby boy, half Vietnamese so ôm part asian now, bitches. And everything else - health and such has been good in my family this year.

The Lone Deranger

The Lone Deranger

We'll Bang, Okay?

• Members
  • 4,534 posts

2016 went pretty good in the sense that I finally got a car, moved out, and played my first show. But bad in the sense that I remain a depressed mess with no real direction in life. My cat also died back in August Somebody, I feel you. 

Edited by The Lone Deranger, 30 December 2016 - 07:51 PM.

FrankCastle

FrankCastle

Mr Not Sure

• Members
  • 12,483 posts
Man, it's pretty amazing to see how varied everyone's year has been as well as just how many people seem to struggle at times, but even better to see them come out the other end of it.

My year has been a mixed bag, nothing terrible, but I feel like I'm coming to the end of my time at my current job, I still haven't moved to somewhere I wanna be, but other than that, it's been pretty good, and to top it off I got a baby girl on the way.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with where I am.

3dollarCobra

3dollarCobra

My name is mud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
Crooked Hillary lost! She's got blood on her hands and a fucking burning bag of dog shit should be elected into our office before she is!

SomebodyElse

SomebodyElse

Too many mutha'uckers 'uckin' with my shi'

• Legends
  • 5,165 posts

Someone clearly understood was this thread is about.

The Lone Deranger

The Lone Deranger

We'll Bang, Okay?

• Members
  • 4,534 posts

It's okay guys, as long as Crooked Hillary lost, all is well. /sarcasm

Domi

Domi

Stop talking !

• Legends
  • 12,482 posts

All in all 2016 was ok for me personally I'd say. I couldn't do as much campaign work as I did in 2015 just one covert in the Baltic Sea which Kinda backfired for all involved. Maybe this year is better.

Apart from that I reduced work hours from 35 to 30 and 5 days to 4 which makes life a lot more worthwhile since it's not that bif of a difference financially and it gives me a lot more free time and time for my dogs.

Which leads me to my next point. My girlfriend (now ex) and I adopted a second dog from Romania and it was the best thing we could do. It didn't save our relationship but seeing that once scared and beaten dog having the time of his life now gives me so much joy.

And the break-up with my GF was also positive for all involved. We get along good, we help each other out with the dogs and one of us can always go on longer vacations because there's someone there to care for them.

One really negative experience was in summer when we did a road trip with the car for 3 weeks and seeing a stray dog getting run over in Bosnia and no one caring. We spent 2 days searching for it because it survived but ran away. Don't know if it's still alive though :( and those pictures still get to me from time to time. Also the knowledge of people not caring about animals in those countries at all.

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 53,763 posts

"Also the knowledge of people not caring about animals in those countries at all."

That's an unfair generalization. While laws against animal abuse might not be enforced the way they are in more civilized countries, there are plenty of animal lovers in Eastern Europe. The same way there are plenty of pieces of shit in any country who do animal cruelty for fun or are indifferent to it. 

As a German, you, of all people, should know how unfair stereotypes and generalizations can be, even when they're based on a lot of truth. 

SiDog

SiDog

Officially the standard of man you have to compare yourself to

• Legends
  • 13,530 posts
SCHMETTERLING!

Domi

Domi

Stop talking !

• Legends
  • 12,482 posts

@ Alex, it wasn't a generalisation and if it looked that way I'm sorry for that.

We were travelling with our dogs and for the most part we got looked at like aliens because we treated them like part of our family. I'm not saying all people there are like this, we encountered some positive too. Bosnia also seems to have the highest funds for animal warfare in Europa or at least one of the highest but all of that money is lost in political corruption.

And yeah, You have assholes in every country, Germany is no better than that. 2 days after New Year some girl threw fire crackers near horses even after she got told to stop but she didn't care. The horses got scared, ran away and got hit by a car on the freeway.

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 53,763 posts

Well, the thing about countries like mine and (probably) Bosnia too, is that a lot of people are one or two generations away, tops, from the countryside. I don't want to speak for Bosnia, maybe Symod can weigh in here, but that's the problem here. For instance, I'm one of the few people that I know whose four grandparents are from cities and not villages. But even then, both my grandparents from my mother's side pretty much lived on a farm-like house on the outskirts of a small town. Had pigs, chickens, all of that shit. 

What I'm trying to say is, most kids my age here grew up in a world where having a pig and slaughtering it for Christmas was not only acceptable, but tradition. If they didn't do it at home, they did it while visiting their grandparents. The dog, to a lot of these people, is supposed to be chained up somewhere to "protect the property" and be thrown garbage at from time to time instead of food. It's an object in their eyes. The horse even more so. Dude, don't ever visit Romania, once you'll see the gypsies with their carriages and the painfully skinny, underweight horses they don't feed and whip like crazy, you'll feel like taking a shotgun and going on a killing spree. 

So yeah, we're very, very far behind as a society, especially about stuff like religion and animal cruelty. Having said that, there's still a considerable amount of people who love animals, who do treat animals like they're part of family (my grandma sleeps with her dog in the same room, for instance, and she comes from a generation of people who would consider that filthy and wrong). Most of my friends are animal lovers as well. So on and so forth.

To say that people don't care about animals in these countries, as if all of us were like this while the rest of Western Europe was perfect in that regard, is simply untrue. People are people, some good, most bad. I think your opinion and compassion for animals is directly related to what you are like as a person. If you're a piece of shit, you're gonna be a piece of shit who abuses his dog no matter where you live -- it's just a matter of whether you'll go to jail for it or not. And if it's socially acceptable or not. But the root of the problem, the evilness and lack of compassion in so many people, is still there. 

Anyway, if that's not what you meant, fine. It's just that jokes are one thing, unfair generalizations are a whole other thing. I got triggered, yo. Das ist mir wurst. 

Domi

Domi

Stop talking !

• Legends
  • 12,482 posts

Yeah I know for most part it's an education thing like with so many things in our society. On Facebook you see a lot of pictures and videos from parents taking their kids hunting and tell them they did good when they killed an animal. How is that kid supposed to grow up loving animals ? It's very hard to become a different, depending on their social surroundings and exposure to certain media.

Actually I wanted to go to Romania this year but not for vacation but to help at the recue shelters. Which is probably one of the toughest thing you can do as an animal lover. The things you see there every day.

Every country has their way with animals. In Germany in may seem more civilized because we don't have kill shelters for dogs and no stray dogs at all. But when it comes to other animals like cows or pigs a lot of them don't care either. And you just have to get a hunting license and you can go out and shoot animals any way you like, even dogs and cats if they are too far from their owners and not on a leash. Most of them say it's for environmental reasons to control populations etc... but it's all bullshit and to me every hunter is a psychopath who deserves only the worst. Which is the only generalization I stand by to the fullest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users