Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to theArmpit.net // forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Attention! Read This About Leaks.

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Stalemate

Stalemate

A Super Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts
Well I didn't know that about the tracking thing.

Reprise

Reprise

Speaking in Colours

• Moderators
  • 24,842 posts
Yeah, but removing all that digital "traceable" information and watermarks is a piece of piss I'm sure :P

Not that I'm going to encourage people to share media or anything, I'm just sayin'

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
And Universal has only anonymous watermarks yet, so they can't be traced to someone in particular, it's just there

spy

spy

Not funny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,676 posts
I have read about watermarks in the actual audio, too. But I don't think it is used. iTunes is integrating your E-Mail Address into the song. You can't delete it, because they have some kind of FEC build in.

codejunkieLBU

codejunkieLBU

Promising...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
You can share audio at your own risk, I don't want to forbid you that ;)

But as a press member, I know that major labels try everything to protect leaking.
Here's a software, which some company use. Read the "Protection"-Information: http://haulix.com/To...rotect-Releases

codejunkieLBU

codejunkieLBU

Promising...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
And here's a detailed explaination, how a watermarking software works: http://www.musictrac...tentmark.en.htm

"With the aid of the software products of the ContentMark product family, it is possible to embed additional information into audio signals"

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,698 posts
This software is used to prevent leaking, not piracy. And yes, it's totally possible to embed additional information, but it is entirely possible to remove said information also. Have you noticed the amount of leaks lately decreasing? I haven't. And surely I haven't heard about anyone being sued lately for leaking some awesome album. Any grown and adult man would come to the following conclusion: either that software is not being used, or it's not working. Guess what? It doesn't matter anyway actually.

Jave

Jave

• Moderators
  • 19,841 posts
Leaking is part of piracy in a way.

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,698 posts
Yeah, you're right, but no one uses watermarks on massive scale AFAIK. It's used when the circle of potential culprits is not really that wide

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 54,195 posts
Didn't they catch a Guild member leaking movies on The Pirate Bay? I'd assume that's what they need watermarks for, to see who's a traitor amongst them. I doubt they're gonna go after some kind in Europe who got a song off iTunes and put it on a forum. I'm sure finding the people who work within the industry that leak stuff is the priority.

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,698 posts
Yeah, but that was the only case of the watermarks actually do some good

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 54,195 posts
People need to learn to spend a bit of money for the things that they like. I've had the discussion before here, there's nothing more pathetic than to bitch about LB's lack of material for all these years and then to just refuse to buy it when it 'hits.' How fucked up is that? Especially since good sales ensures the band's future...

But eh, I've grown up amongst cheap people and I know they're just wired that way. Everything has to be free, unless it's their shit, then they want JUSTICE and want to be paid in fully.

Hypocrites.

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,698 posts
Yeah, I guess paying a bit never hurted anyone. BUT paying for the work has to go both ways, so I guess until there are people who are underpaid, there will be people who underpay. This is utopia anyway, so piracy is bound to exist forever just as any other form of indecency,

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 54,195 posts
No, there are plenty of wealthy people who still jailbreak their iPhones cause they can't be arsed spending $0.99 on an app. Cheapness has got nothing to do with how much money you have...

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

there are people who are underpaid, there will be people who underpay

This doesn't imply that people who underpay are the same ones that are being underpaid. That was exactly the though, if someone get's less than he deserves it means that there is someone cheap who doesn't want to pay him

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 54,195 posts
Why do you always have to turn everything into an ambiguous sociopolitical discussion that doesn't have anything to do with the subject at hand? Did I say anything about people who are underpaid or who underpay?

My only point was that people are cheap and that you can be a millionaire and still be cheap as fuck, because wealth has got nothing to do with it. I was saying this to prove my point that people illegally download because they can, even if what they're stealing is not expensive.

What on Earth does your post above have to do with anything else discussed in here?

Remedy_For_Rock

Remedy_For_Rock

Something that corrects an evil, fault, or error

• Members
  • 6,308 posts

No one asked me to 'knock it off,' but politely asked me if I could remove some links. Very different thing, because Remedy worded it like I got a gun to my head when in fact I got asked, as a favor, to remove the illegal copies of BLB's shit. It's the fact that they asked so nicely that made me comply the way I did. I don't respond well to threats. Sure, the BLB thing was used as an example of how some labels know this site facilitated piracy, but again, Remedy worded it like BLB's label threatened us and then we quickly removed the MB out of fear, which is the total opposite of the way it went down.

So please get the facts straight before spreading stories around... And stop 'remembering' things that went on behind the scenes, as you have no way of knowing them unless you are a mod or admin.

My memory may be hazy, but I certainly wasn't implying a "gun to your head" by saying knock it off....that's a bit of a stretch Alex. I should have chosen my words better. I 'remember' you sharing the story with us so that's where I got my hazy info and I do remember you saying they were polite about it. It wasn't behind the scenes because you made direct posts about the situation to everyone.

I remember when the media booth closed, you did say it was something you were considering for a longtime, and used BLB as an example. I sincerely thought it was shortly after...like it was what broke the camel's back.

So sorry for my bad stoner memory. XO

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 54,195 posts
You are forgiven, my son.

As for people bitching about our 'no leaks rule' and about 'torrent sites giving you viruses'

Boo fucking hoo. Learn to use the internet, people. I'd rather you get a virus than us getting sued, you know? Also, learn to BUY shit once in a while.

AGumby

AGumby

Dedicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
I can't see why people ask for links to leaks, it's not THAT hard to find :P

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 54,195 posts
I understand that they'd like to have all the links to the leaks here, it's more convenient.

But what I don't get is why they don't understand WHY we disallow all piracy. Is it really that hard to grasp? It's illegal. This is a forum for discussion, why risk getting sued or having other problems?

Arguments like "ADMINS GOT THE LEAK THEMSELVES BUT THEY DO NOT ALLOW IT HERE!!! STUPID" really make me think some people have a two digit IQ. It's not about what we think of leaks or what we download ourselves, it's about protecting this place.

Whatever though, some people are obviously too stupid, even for the internet. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users