Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to theArmpit.net // forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

News & Updates

* * * * - 17 votes

• Please log in to reply
52498 replies to this topic

LimpJedi

LimpJedi

A Known Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

so it's that guy again...?

dubwell

dubwell

A True Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Yeah, the problem with TUT pt 1 is that it was such a tease, and The Truth just blew everything else on the EP out of the water.  Specifically the whole intro leading into the main riff.  

The lead up to that album was probably the most exciting time on TAP in terms of the "fan" experience.  The hype was off the charts, and when The Truth video dropped everyone lost their damn minds.  

I still like GC though.  Sure, it's basically a modern update of Chocolate Starfish but at least it doesn't have the crazy high pitched CS Mickey Mouse voice throughout and the humor is more clear about being tongue in cheek, and Douche Bag is a such a joyfully retarded song.  Plus, Walking Away is still a pretty solid melodic/serious Bizkit tune.  I think if they could've been just like 15% more adventurous with GC, explored the songs a bit more it could've turned out a lot better.  Oddly enough I've talked to a few people who aren't Bizkit fans who liked Gold Cobra though.  I have some good memories of when the album came out (ugh...the album is now old enough that I have feelings nostalgia for my mid-20s thinking about a record that was meant to make me feel nostalgic for my teens).

A lot of LB fans compare GC to CS, and I agree to an extent, but it was much more of a new SO than anything.

Think of LB's album cycle and evolution of sound, then draw comparisons to the phases of their career.

• 3DBY = TUTP1 (harsh, aggressive sound with minimal public exposure - gaining / re-gaining your footing as a band)
  • SO = GC (an established identity, more melodic and focused sound - more marketing and promotion / "reunion" of the band angle)
  • CS = (what would have been) SOTDE (pure commercial, Pop Mainstream attention, top of their game / what would have been similar attention with new label)

Had the Ca$h Money deal gone Fred's way, they would have had a second chance at true Mainstream success again, with Lightz and Ready To Go. Obviously, the second half of their career just never took off. But to me those comparisons make more sense. To each their own in how you perceive it though.

EDIT: You can even draw a more detailed comparison by using the early (Mental Aqueducts? - was that the name, I honestly forget) Demos without Wes to RMV. At least I do when I think about their career.

Edited by dubwell, 11 November 2017 - 09:42 AM.

David

David

In dreams he wanders the dark in search of her...

• Members
  • 3,691 posts
"Working on some dope shit right now." "I swear you will be super stoked and super proud." "Get ready, there is some dope shit coming." 🙃

hipster limpster

hipster limpster

Promising...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

From that video above. Fred looks good, you can see his age anyways, but dude's in a great shape. From what he said it's obvious that we are at best years away from any release or even a leak. He's not sure about anything, looks away just waiting for a good moment to leave. "Dope shit" means no ideas and just tons of random Wes' riffs, that will never see the light of the day.

Take a pan and write some lyrics, man. That's it. What are you even trying to make up here? Come on!

Saszatyci

Saszatyci

Dedicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

TUT p1 is miles better than GC. Yeah, P1 is trying to be Rage, but GC is Limp trying to be Limp, and doing a poor job at it. Truth sounds like a natural extension of the core sound, Gold Cobra was just a watered down, bland Chocolate starfish.

It's true about some songs, to me Gold Cobra, Autotunage, 90 2 10 or Los Angeles sound vocally as attempt to recreate a formula.

there were some new sounds too -  Bring it back, Killer in you, Backporch. Shark Attack and Why Try sound dumb but feel more natural than Gold Cobra for example. 

It's my least Sam Rivers favorite album too

David

David

In dreams he wanders the dark in search of her...

• Members
  • 3,691 posts
Yeah, to me it seems that Sam and John are really playing it safe nowadays. RMV was their last good record. There is really no memorable bass part on GC in my opinion. Sorry. And I love Sam I am.

Edited by David, 11 November 2017 - 05:06 PM.

• Saszatyci likes this

Bigreggie

Bigreggie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
The Story on Tutp1 was my favorite.. the truth was a second for me

I honestly think GC kinda sounds like a mix of CS and RMV..

SO is in a league of its own in my opinion

Saszatyci

Saszatyci

Dedicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Yeah, to me it seems that Sam and John are really playing it safe nowadays. RMV was their last good record. There is really no memorable bass part on GC in my opinion. Sorry. And I love Sam I am.

Groove on "Shotgun" was cool, so was bridge on Gold Cobra and Why Try. I like the grooves on 90 2 10 but that track was destroyed IMO by Fred's vocals. John did a great job on GC though.

I think there was an idea of drums and bass sound on GC. Bring it back, Killer in you, Get a life, Loser, My Own Cobain - they all have the same thing in common about 
Sam's bass, it's very electronic/rap,like it's synth bass or something. Like he just wants to just give a little taste, a loop and that can be appreciated. That was their sound on SO. 

But in overall I lack his melody there and involvement, like in "the Truth", "Lonely World", Re-arranged or My Way.

Lightz, Thieves cover and Endless Slaughter do not change this neither

resident evil

resident evil

A True Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Or just Fred told them not to do something creative.

Reprise

Reprise

Speaking in Colours

• Moderators
  • 24,768 posts
Physical CD release of BDF 2 has been delayed til December 18.

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 54,129 posts

Oh no. Wes caught "freditis"!

• Reprise likes this

Reprise

Reprise

Speaking in Colours

• Moderators
  • 24,768 posts

Strangely positive interview from Wes...

Wes Borland: "I wish Limp Bizkit were doing more"

Is that how you think Limp Bizkit’s stayed popular? By not being as hyper-serious as other bands?

“I don’t think the band’s popular now, ha ha! Is it? We haven’t been active enough for my tastes. I really wish we were doing more and I think we will be next year. There might be some stuff going on. I think the reason that we can still go out and play shows is the devaluing of music and that the whole entire music industry is in such misery and oversaturated. Everybody’s got a band now but nobody’s making any money off of it.”

What are those plans that Limp Bizkit has for next year?

“I have no idea. I’m not the boss of Limp Bizkit, Fred [Durst] is. But I think he’s working right now. Will he be done by next year? Who knows? I don’t know! I’ve been wanting to work on it, I’m ready to work on it anytime, but it depends on what his plan is. There’s no problem with that and we’re great friends, but I can only control what I control.

FrankCastle

FrankCastle

Mr Not Sure

• Members
  • 12,673 posts
Fred has probably started the whole writing music thing again but hes obviously cautious due to past experiences about actually taking it serious.

hipster limpster

hipster limpster

Promising...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Fred just needs some new tracks to delete. It's been a while.

• SomebodyElse likes this

nylimpfan

nylimpfan

Froggin' Bullfish

• Legends
  • 7,651 posts

That is quite strange.  Haha Wes contradicts himself so much.  Literally just said  "it may never come out, don't know, don't really care." on the Metalsucks podcast.  Even just admitting that he actually does care about LB and wishes they were more active is a major change of tune.  Maybe getting a couple of solo records out of his system makes him feel less resentful about Fred holding material hostage.

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 54,129 posts

"I don't care about Limp Bizkit. Rent is becoming quite expensive though, so you know what, I wish Limp Bizkit did more!!!"

This band is both a blessing and a curse for him. It's paying the bills and it's probably fun to be in from time to time, but it's also making him a laughing stock and it's a project that is going nowhere even though nostalgia and comebacks are huge right now and they could at least try. It's kinda like alcohol. "I can't wait to get wasted / Ah fuck this hangover shit, never drinking again / You know what, I miss having some fun / LET'S GET WASTED / Fuck I shouldn't have had so many shots" so on and so forth.

Has to be a huge source of frustration to sit on tons of hours of material and a name that is still relatively well known, and seeing it all go to shit. Make no mistake about it though. If Wes ever finds real success with a side project, he is DONE with Limp Bizkit. He may have fun from time to time, but I'm sure he does it all for the nookie moolah right now.

• chti and hipster limpster like this

Reprise

Reprise

Speaking in Colours

• Moderators
  • 24,768 posts
I'm pretty sure something like this occurred:

*phone rings*

Wes to himself: "Oh fuck, it's Fred. What does he want now?"

*Wes answers phone*

Wes: "Hey Fred..."

Fred: "Wes I've fucking read what you've been saying. Can you stop trashing the band and rubbishing our new material? I'm trying to book us on more tours and festivals and it don't look good. We need a carrot to dangle in the fans' faces to keep them coming to the shows"

Wes: "Ugh..."

Fred: "Next time anyone asks, you tell them it's the heaviest, dopest shit ever written and it's coming soon"

Wes: "Ok Fred"

Fred: "Wes... Sometimes it's not the souls that change, sometimes it's the hearts. This band was created as a process of thinking. It is a living, breathing animal waiting to pounce on its prey. The time is near. We are in control of our own destiny and callous souls will soon realize their own pain. Never forget that."
"WFD 2017"

Wes: "Yeah... ok Fred."
  • Alex, SomebodyElse, VeLoCi and 3 others like this

Alex

Alex

. . . . .

• Webmaster
  • 54,129 posts

Haha. Wes be like "HOLY SHIT THIS REPRISE FELLA HAS PSYCHIC POWERS WTFFFF"

• Reprise likes this

Old School Soldier

Old School Soldier