Edit Style
Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to theArmpit.net // forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How Important Is Dj Lethal In Limp Bizkit?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

Poll: DJ Lethal

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

How Important Is DJ Lethal In Limp Bizkit?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Now it 19-19 with 1 vote for Skeletor, bring it on. It looks like lethal DJ Lethal fans have to consider that Lethal is not that important, as at least half of the community doesn't consider him as such. Doesn't matter if you want him back, he's not essential.

nylimpfan

nylimpfan

Froggin' Bullfish

• Legends
  • 7,672 posts

I voted icing on the cake, but IMO that shouldn't be qualified with "just".  I think he added a lot to LB's sound and helped develop it into what it is, essentially functioning as a second guitarist.  In LB's best moments, him and Wes became kind of seamless.  

He's not irreplaceable, especially because Franko learned all his techniques and a DJ simply is the lowest on the totem pole in a rock band, but he deserves a little more respect from the community.  Plus his live energy was awesome and he just seemed to have his heart in the band as much as anyone.

killmill

killmill

Dedicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

^^ i totally agree with nylimpfan.infact the band members themselves has said he is pretty much like second guitarist in the hey days.i think he deserves some respect from this community especially since he was the most supportive member during the dark era.hes also killer live and really increases energy levels.hope he does come back sometime

Reprise

Reprise

Speaking in Colours

• Moderators
  • 25,120 posts

Here's the thing; he did contribute a lot by being the icing on the cake. I agree with you nylimpfan, that you cant really say he was "just" the icing on the cake. As I said before, I respect him a lot. The thing is, it's now 2013 and the guys had some problems and now wish to move on without him and I'm ok with that. The problem is, I think everyone should respect that and be ok with it. That's just my opinion, but I honestly don't think his absence is that big a deal. Lethal brought loads of energy live, but are the band really that much worse without him? Erm, nope.

As for what he did in the studio on the band's albums, I'd advise to wait until we get our first album without him before you pass judgement. Personally, I do think what he did can easily be replicated and far more easily so than any other member. Frankly, he is the most replaceable member. As I said before too. Ready To Go was written and performed without him, yet it contains all the characteristics that make up the quality Limp Bizkit trademark sound.

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Lethal was definitely something more than "just" an icing on the cake, but the longer the band rolled, the less prominent he became and his contributions became inconsistent in quality.

Reprise

Reprise

Speaking in Colours

• Moderators
  • 25,120 posts

Indeed.

Cameron

Cameron

I'm richer than you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

I disagree though, his contributions in Gold Cobra were on the same level as RMV and much more (obviously) than TUTP1.

I'm sure even Wes said that Lethal was the one who put together Killer In You and/or Bring It Back. Granted Killer In You sucks, but yeah..

Reprise

Reprise

Speaking in Colours

• Moderators
  • 25,120 posts

Killer in You he definitely did, but as you said, it sucks.

nylimpfan

nylimpfan

Froggin' Bullfish

• Legends
  • 7,672 posts

Oh yeah, I agree with you guys, the band can move on from him now and be fine.  I'm not trying to whine and say they need Lethal back, he's gone for purely personal reasons between him and the band that are frankly none of my business.  I just don't agree with some of the revisionist history I've seen where people downplay his overall contribution to the band, but it seems like we're all on the same page for the most part now.

Cameron

Cameron

I'm richer than you

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Yeah, one particular comment I didn't like in here was from Morphine (who I have no problems with personally) saying "It looks like lethal DJ Lethal fans have to consider that Lethal is not that important" Not quite sure what you mean by DJ Lethal fans when we're all supposed to be fans of the same band.

But I guess since Lethal has always been one of my preferred members I'm always going to be a little bit biased, and I'll have wait for the album to come out before I can really put in my two cents. But having had the misfortune of seeing the band twice without him, one thing I can categorically say is that his live absence is very noticeable which is why I'm not going out of my way to see them on their various upcoming tour dates this year.

Reprise

Reprise

Speaking in Colours

• Moderators
  • 25,120 posts

I just don't agree with some of the revisionist history I've seen where people downplay his overall contribution to the band, but it seems like we're all on the same page for the most part now.

But at the same time, some people seem to downplay or pretend that they "know" Lethal has few or no issues (whether it be drugs, alcohol, general partying or whatever) and it's all just a conspiracy by the band to have him kicked out for other reasons.

Cameron

Cameron

I'm richer than you

• Members
  • 2,630 posts

Obviously, Eminem said to Fred if Lethal is out, he'd collab with the band. Fred got him kicked out, and Eminem still didn't do the song.

Em fucked the band over, he did this to all of us.

nylimpfan

nylimpfan

Froggin' Bullfish

• Legends
  • 7,672 posts

That's fair enough Rep.  At the end of day it's a matter they are choosing to keep private and I respect that, but it also means I choose to stay somewhat neutral about it without enough facts to make an informed opinion.  I'm sure the band has their reasons, and honestly even if it was something as simple as not feeling like he was pulling his weight and figuring they'd stand to be making a bit more money without him and could get away with giving Franko a lesser take, I could even understand that too as shrewd as it would be.  It's not like Wes, Sam or John are rolling in dough these days so a little extra money from touring could make all the difference for them and they deserve it.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that's the reason, just saying IF that's a motivating factor somewhere.

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

@Cam

I meant that the absence of Lethal from their live shows and from their recent work didn't make the same effect as it would make if all the DJing work from Faith or My Generation got suddenly cut out. Sure - some people said that live shows got worse, and Ready to Go sounds somehow different from the Bizkit we used to know, but I don't think the effect is that great. TBH I've seen 2 shows with Lethal and 1 show with Skeletor an haven't noticed any differences. Sure - there was no flamethrower, but hell, it's not like Lethal made mad contributions every single show, akin to Rammstein's keyboard player. Right now I don't really think that stuff from RMV and GC couldn't be made by any other DJ. My Generation and Faith - sure, awesome work, but damn, it was a long time ago.

kosherbizkit

kosherbizkit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

I believe that the true is a mashup of the two opinions.

Leathal was very Important in the first 3 albums of Limp Bizkit,you could hear his adds and know he is from the House Of Pain.

he really added to the band and gave psycedelic vibe and it was cool to put a DJ in the band back then,and he really was another instrument. he had a good work on RMV too ,but it wasn't the same,didn't feel so special at all.

in the last albums-TUTpt.1 and Gold Cobra we could barely hear what Leathal brings to the band because the band gave Wes more room for his creativity (Leathal kicked ass live though).

Now when Fred has experience in producing ,Wes has its own electronic-hard rock vibe,and Sam has his knowledge in electronic music-they can handle out without Leathal,now everyone can DJ ,and Leathal is stuck behind 1992...

Skaletore sucks. i hope they'll find another DJ live,I dont care if it would be Lethal,fuck it. 

Edited by kosherbizkit, 07 October 2013 - 05:24 AM.

Requiem

Requiem

Rockstar

• Legends
  • 10,549 posts
^Best answer so far.

Regardless of how you feel about Lethal, I truly believe that 3DBY the best use of a DJ in a rock band so far. He added so many cool touches to the songs that really turned them into something special. It's a shame his role became so downplayed in later years.

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Yeah, right, disregard that few posts earlier I've said basically the same thing.

iMikeZero

iMikeZero

Master Bizkit

• Members
  • 3,800 posts

Listen to Significant Other and Chocolate Starfish and you can hear just how important he is. 

Oke

Oke

Wrecking Ball

• Members
  • 2,947 posts
Boo hooo..

Morphine_Overdose

Morphine_Overdose

Come get some.

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

@Mike

Welcome to 2013, man. I heard you froze yourself in the year 2000 and just thawed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users